Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chante and some new play tools




I stopped at Hobby Lobby on my way to draw this evening and picked up a few needs and then a set of oil pastels. (Since the dogs ate the last free set given to me.) As much as I needed to put the cash from sale toward some debt, I needed to keep some art and framing supplies current. SALE going on I didn't expect and several items were half price... like the blades for mat cutting... a piece of the new butter soft block print material... newsprint for gesture drawings. Picked up tapes and glass (the cats broke the piece I was working with last week)and kraft paper to dust cover frames. I was thinking pencils and my head turned not once but more than even twice at the oil pastels at 30% off. I got a nice set of 36 colors to open and play with at life. And double the enjoyment of the evening to have Chante back for the night. I could have done an hour on her beautiful hair this evening. cornrows into a lovely pony tail. So enchanting. Maybe next time I'll focus more on her beautiful hair, tonight I was playing with my new oil pastels and before I knew it I had a Salvador Dali moustache and more. Guess I'm used to working with clean color pencils.

7 comments:

Bob said...

I like this pastel jungle you've wandered into. Keep up the great work!

Laura said...

Oh I so miss your rantings and venting and whatever moves you to share with us. Please keep it up and let us know how your doing. I could help but laugh a good chuckle this morning with your short story. And you work well they speak loudly for them self.

yes keep up the great work. I think the new direction is exciting and something that is fun for you and others are seeing that.
peace lady
where liking this all!

Elena said...

Ok, this isn't bad envy but I so wish I could capture humans as you do. Mine look like stick figures. And the beautiful richness of color you've achieved with the pastels is great. You sound more upbeat and thank goodness you treated yourself to artistic shopping.

Suz said...

Good shopping

Uta said...

hehehe I so would've liked to see that Salvador Dali moustache lol. Great fun drawings there Doris. Good to see.

butterfly woman said...

I love painting and drawing hair. This model's hair sounds particularly intriguing. Love that bottom image. Those glowing lines energetically jump off the black background. You seem to really be loosening up and stepping out of the box. Very intriguing work. Quite electrifying!

april said...

Beautiful, Doris. I love the top painting. You've captured the lovely relaxed pose. And yes, great hair on the bottom one. Fun! and fun shopping!