Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.


"Security is mostly a superstition. It doesn't exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." ~Helen Keller
Certainly my debt collectors consider my life a daring adventure. Do I consider it adventure or nothing? Some of the labors I do have seemingly little effect on man or beast, quite a different pace than running the shelter previously. I often wonder if I need that constant giving of myself to community. Being able to help in times often dire. The emotional toll had been so strong, and anger quite evident daily dealing with mankind's cruelties and neglect. Facing many things others would not or could not fathom, there are prettier pictures to paint than reality. I sometimes forget the nightmares that followed witnessing many of the realities I learned. It is easier to run past, with eyes close tight in denial. Am I adventurous now is the real question or am I hanging onto that lifeboat forgetting that I really rather enjoy swimming? I am able to create some lite activism with my news articles for veterinarian, creating some understanding and empathy...of course the public would need to read them to be affected. But to really be adventurous, to put my creativity and my energies where they belong, am I ready to be a conduit for danger? Today's lunchtime walk I even avoided construction area, simply to step sideways of any contact with mankind. Picked some daises for my desk. Hoped my detour would bring me some fresh insight change of pace or scenery, but path I'd walked many times in many seasons. Remembered to pick up some fruits and vegetables after work...todays salad was weary and just a single apple left in the house.

No comments: